Monday, May 5, 2008

No Google Desktop Support

Oddly, text chat done in Google Talk is NOT indexed and made searchable by Google Desktop. Google Desktop does this for AOL chats and recently added support for MSN Messenger. Google said there are no immediate plans to add indexing support for Google Talk.
That had better change -- and soon -- if Google is serious about winning people over. Or at least winning me. I've found having my AOL chats indexed very helpful. Gary and I talk via instant messaging throughout the day on AIM, and it's been handy to search and find what we've discussed. I'm not likely to have an extended conversation in Google Talk until I know that support is there.
FYI, Google Talk will save the last 20 lines of discussion you've had with someone, even after you close the client and restart later. Nice -- but I want more history than this.
Google Talk's also got a way to go to convince me to leave Yahoo Messenger, which as I said I use to communicate with my wife while I'm traveling. The client is easy to use, includes video calling as well, plus links her into Yahoo Mail, which she loves. There's a billion other things also built in.
Now if Google Talk adds decent video calling, I'll be more tempted. My attempts at using video calling with AIM and MSN's tool left me more than disappointed. Tiny windows and space shuttle-like flicker and jerkiness was not impressive.
Yahoo's tool offers "Super Webcam" mode, but no matter what I do, it never seems to activate. Still, it was for me better than AIM or MSN. In the end, I resorted to using SightSpeed, which gave me a much better and bigger picture, though there's still plenty of room for improvement. Occasionally, I'd have connection problems with it. Yahoo always connected, even if the picture quality was poor.

No comments: